Skip to main content

Moment of Choice

It has been a while. 

Life has been colourful - to put it mildly. 

I seem to be out the other side with a clarity about what truly matters to me.  Hence renaming this blog, In This Moment. We are right here in it, after all. And hello to you as you choose to spend this moment of yours reading my words.

Hello! Take a breath and settle in, if you choose to stay. It’s your moment of choice.

It has taken a humbling tussle with cancer to open my eyes to the moment I am in. Moments which can be a few seconds; a fleeting interaction, a happy thought. Or periods of time delineated by some external structure; a work day, a treatment schedule or a plane trip. And then moments as life stages; mothering a newborn, high school education, a career, even dying well as you acknowledge your last days. All these hold a context for the minuscule moment which is accompanied by my next breath in and subsequent release. 

How am I going to spend this moment that I am present to? How shall I live well?

My understanding was made very concrete that there is no single, right answer to this wonderful ride called life! I am now more present to it all being about perspective and choice. My perspective on what is important changed dramatically. As a result, how I live has changed. The way I make choices is clearer and more compassionate and I watch as each choice inescapably accumulates to a life lived. 

This clarity has brought a change to how I choose to spend my time. And time, oh my! Time continually morphed for me depending on what news I had, which chemo day I was on, when surgery loomed or healing ‘took too long’. Looking back that ordeal was timeless, a black hole, though I can see on the calendar that it is over a year since treatment began. So now, as I said, I see time as an opportunity for context and presence. From the big scheme of things, to this next breath. I enjoy it being less linear in my perception and more multi-faceted, multi-layered and, as they say, multi-dimensional.

So I intend to spend time sharing some of my hard-won perspectives. My desire in this, as with everything I share, is for connection. Connection into my own thoughts and interactions, offering connection in and with you and your own ideas. This is truly what makes my life rich. I hope it might enrich yours too, In This Moment. 


And in more to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You are the result of every decision you have made.

You are the result of every decision you’ve made. An obvious, but much avoided, truth made so poignantly vivid by Jeremiah McDonald to his 12 year old self here . There are so many inspired moments within this short video, but my favourite has to be at 3’20” where Jeremiah makes a decision, having woken-up to himself. The fire is re-lit inside him, he’s back on purpose and nothing else matters but pursuing his passion; “what he does”. And he takes action.   Ahh, is there anything better in life? Is there anything more worthy of celebration than witnessing (or being) a person acting on their deep recollection of themselves? Decide to spend your next 4 minutes watching this delightfully clever and funny creation or abandon reading this post now.   You’d be “wasting your time” trying to make sense of it, if you don’t.   And I’d hate to be blamed for that ;) So, what do you do exactly? What did you do before you decided not to?   What were you doing “before you made this video”? At whateve

Struggle or Swim

Once faced with the diagnosis of cancer, my biggest challenge was in choosing what approach to take. It felt like a cruelly urgent "do or die" exercise in learning to trust my own intuition AND rational thought when faced with the expertise of medical science (and the $7 billion cancer industry lurking behind it), the art and efficacy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, the experience of others who have walked their own path with cancer and the opinions of those who know me sometimes better than I know myself. And the day I realized that there was no single, right pathway to take with a promised, certain outcome, was monumental. I woke up to the fundamental truth that I had no control over whether I would live or die. I was frightened beyond words, yet liberated and relieved at the same time. My breathing calmed and expanded and everything looked brighter and more miraculous. This poem was my best way to describe how it felt to me, and it still gives me shive